Monday 23 January 2012

Leo Tolstoy



"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."

"Even in the valley of the shadow of death, two and two do not make six."

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."

"If you want to be happy, be."

"In all history there is no war which was not hatched by the governments, the governments alone, independent of the interests of the people, to whom war is always pernicious even when successful."

"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet."

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well."

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."