Friday 20 January 2012

Education Vs Experience

I learnt a lot through University - in terms of education and about myself. I am currently in a position with my career that I'm sure I would be even if I hadn't gone to University - I see people around me becoming more successful, I can't help but feel unfulfilled. The trials and tribulations of a fresh graduate. Channeling my energy towards a positive outcome - I will be in a better position before long. I am glad that I went to University, for many reasons. It helped me grow as a person, I made the best friends ever and I learned a lot about the industry and of management in general. Southampton Solent may not be classed as the greatest Uni in the UK but considering my year was the first to run the course I was on - I think we all came out well, the only negative was the inconsistency with tutors. 

Admittedly, I didn't work very hard in 1st year, or even 2nd year for that matter, but a Summer at home with my Mum kicking my ass gave me a sudden realisation that I needed to change my attitude fast in order to turn my failing degree around. As soon as my attitude towards study changed, I harnessed a motivation toward a good outcome, meanwhile a panel of much better tutors came onto our course, suddenly I found myself actually enjoying my seminars and lectures and was able to get stuck into each project from start to finish. Having a part-time job was a distraction in 2nd year as I was more concerned with that over my degree, but once I hit 3rd year with my new focus in hand, I was able to combine my studies with my job and could see the relevance of what I was learning with what was experiencing at work. 

I think having a degree looks good on your CV but it must be backed up by experience in order to be taken seriously when applying for an important role. Something I didn't do and deeply regret not doing is fulfilling work placements during the Summer periods while in University. When you are young and studying far from home it is appealing to go home for Summer, spend time with your family and getting a part time job to save for the next semester. What others do and what I wish I could have done is arrange an internship in London, even for just a month - it gives students exposure to real industry knowledge, gives you a chance to experience the real world, excites you and opens your eyes to working business, network, really it sets the foundations of your potential career. It's not the end of the world if you don't commit to these internships during your studies, it just gives you an upper hand on other graduates if you do.

To sum up, experience should be backed up with experience. Make the most out of your studies. If you don't enjoy University, talk to your tutors, find ways to enhance your studies for example by blogging, attending trade shows, talking to professionals, talking to peers, travel, be inspired. 

My advice to students: learn to cook meals in bulk and freeze, make friends and have fun but go out 1 less night a week and save your loans to be an intern.