Friday 27 February 2015

Banksy


http://time.com/3723390/banksy-video-gaza/

Recently came across this video produced by Banksy. Watch it if you haven't seen it already.


It really got me thinking, especially this quote:

"If we wash our hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless we side with the powerful - we don't remain neutral"

I've always settled with the frame of mind that I can't really do much to cure all of the conflict in the world, what I can do is try to create a good world around me, a positive impact on the areas of the world that I become involved with along the way. This is easy - all you have to do is be a good person. It's just not enough. I give money to charity every now and then but it's not sustainable - how much of that money even gets to the helpless? I need to make a bigger impact. 

Social media is a wonderful thing, and this Banksy video is a perfect example - the effect of that 2 minute video is huge. We have this platform, this opportunity to be heard, to create awareness. Yes it's bad that every kid these days is glued to their smart phone or iPad taking selfies, we need to degrade that fascination with self and use this platform to grow this love for the world we live in. Life is short, it's to be lived and enjoyed - everyone deserves that right.