Saturday 24 January 2015

Love from PJ's to Ashford Castle

For Christmas, Dara (my then boyfriend) told me he was taking me to Ashford Castle for two nights. Ashford Castle is so beautiful, he'd told me about it before as it's just across the lake from Oughterard, where he spent his teenage years.
 
We began the journey with Oscar Wilde
 
 


While we were on this little 5 star break - getting quite comfortable being looked after in such a way - we went for a walk around the castle grounds; in the old lookout looking out on the Lough Corrib, Dara made me very happy by popping the ole question... I said with no hesitation YES yes YES yuss yaay! It felt quite surreal to become fiancĂ©'s - can you even say that?

This tame little robin came in just after it happened.

We had to move rooms the second night due to a
leak in our room, this was our view. That's the spot.
 
 
While it felt unusual after the climax of the proposal, I always knew I would be with him forever, right from the start. It sounds cheesy but it's true. I've never been one for being in consecutive relationships, I only ever had one other actual boyfriend which was my first ever boyfriend at 18. I have been quite particular over the years, avoiding getting deep into anything I knew wasn't right, I preferred to be with friends rather than wasting time on any relationship that didn't feel right. This tactic worked pretty well for me I think. I found that you can suss out the potential in the first handful of meetings - you may get on really well with someone but often you're better of keeping them as friends if it doesn't feel complete for whatever reason. Better to have a load of good friends than go through the turmoil of breakup and hurting someone, perhaps yourself. Of course there are instances where you may feel someone is right for you and it's only once you've pursued it that the cracks start to show, then it becomes more difficult to get out. Sometimes cracks in relationships are caused by external factors outside of your relationship, often couples give up in these times when really they should try to be optimistic, strategise - try to address and improve other aspects of their lives that may be having this negative effect on what once was a perfect relationship. What has changed? Give it time and work together to get back to where you started. A close family member of mine is the perfect example - she and her husband went through a couple of years of hell together yet they kept trying and trying and now they are back firmly in love and set to continue living a happy life together, like they promised on their wedding day. Divorce is too accepted these days. Be sure before you marry - don't rush in to something with a fickle mind, consider the rest of your life, how circumstances change - do you work well together as a unit to get through it all? We mustn't make promises we can't keep. Oh god I sound smug. I hope I'm not jinxing myself! I have picked all this up from conversations and observations of people I've known over the years, relationships around me... it's just my opinion..

I found Dara in an Irish bar in Australia, we both worked there. Some time went by, I went to work on a farm and while I was there we spoke over the phone most nights, really we got to know each other quite deeply without even seeing each other much before. I fell in love with him while I was working on a sheep farm in Western Australia and I couldn't wait to get back to him. When I got back to Melbourne we became pretty much inseparable and I haven't been able to get rid of him since... ;)

Now 2 years later, I am so excited to get married to this man; his family and friends, my family and friends all together in this love filled celebration.. oh it's going to be special. I'm a little saddened by the prospect of losing my fathers name, but looking forward to becoming a Molloy.

I didn't used to want to get married; I thought, "what's the point? If you know you love eachother and want to be together then surely that's enough? It's such a waste of money!" While I still think weddings cost way too much, I'm in love with the idea of celebrating such a special thing and making a big deal of that promise with everyone in my life that I love. Such special memories can keep you happy later in life when times are hard.

With such a wealth of inspiration, ideas, temptations across the internet distracting me from my work - particularly on Pinterest - I haven't been able to stop collecting ideas and dreaming of the big day.

Now to save for a mortgage and a wedding in 2 years.. EASY!

XXX

A beautiful card from one of my bridesmaids.

Cosying up to Finn and getting used to something new.